The Ikea case

Ikea case

Project Details

Me and a team of four classmates were given a brief from Ikea were they asked us to develop a new digital concept, wireframes and a high fidelity prototype. The project was 7 weeks long and involved making extensive user research, as well as mapping out the competition and the market. One of the biggest challenges that we faced was to create something new for Ikea that they hadn’t already thought about.



Process and deliveries

During the process we sent out a questionnaire to, and interviewed both interior professionals such as bloggers and hobby decorators with an interest in interior design in order to understand how they look for inspiration and information about furniture and trends. The results were presented in the form of insights personas and an experience map together with insights we’ve gathered. We also monitored Ikea’s competition in the digital landscape and created a Blue ocean strategy canvas, mapping out where Ikea could fit in new business. We developed three different concepts and made them into prototypes.

We conducted several user tests so that we could present a brand new digital solution for Ikea's creative team. We also held in a workshop for our client focusing on vision and future goals. For this project I was head of design. I lead the groups creative processes and created a design strategy for us to work by. I also created and tested some of the prototypes, held in user interviews, took part in the creation of the concept and did parts of the end design. We used numerous prototyping tools such as Invision and Marvel and tried out different kind of brainstorming methods, Round robin to name one. This project was a great experience for me since I got to test my UX-skills as well as my leadership skills.

Due to a non-disclosure agreement I can't show or talk about the result or exactly what we did. I'd be happy to tell you more about the project in person.

  • AgencyHyper island
  • Company Ikea
  • Role UX Design/Research
  • Time 2015